20 June 2012

Mis Aventuras: 11

¡Hola todos!

Well the day has finally arrived.  I am extremely sad to announce that this will be my last post from Buenos Aires.  I have absolutely loved my time here and I am so thankful I was able to have this once in a lifetime opportunity.  I have learned so many new things, met so many amazing people, and I feel like I am returning to reality in the States as a brand new person.

The majority of the last week and a half has been filled with exams, essays, and presentations, all of which have gone very well.  I received an A in three of my four classes, and I will find out tomorrow my grade in the fourth class.  I surprisingly received an A in my history of economics course!

On Thursday I took my family out for dinner as a thank you for all they have done over the past four months.  I took them to La Querencia, a common restaurant for the girls and I, which serves typical Argentine food.  My host-mother and I bonded on a whole new level over a bottle of wine.  We spent the evening boy shopping throughout the restaurant with my mother consistantly asking why she has not received a free drink from the abundance of men in the room.  Afterwards, I went out with a group from API to Palermo.

Sadly, our last weekend was filled with despedidas (going away parties) for some friends as well as for ourselves.  Friday's night at Crobar turned into an unofficial despedida with about half of our university in attendance.  It was great to spend it with them!
On Saturday we received medals as a graduation from our univeristy.  Only in Argentina will you graduate to Shakira's "Waka Waka" song.   

On Sunday a group of us went to the Boca v. Arsenal match.  Boca matches are known to be very dangerous, so we went with a tour guide.  We met the group in Palermo and took a bus to what we were told was a bar about a block from the stadium.  This bar was actually a laundromat look-alike,   but they did serve us tasty food and drink for nearly three hours before the match started.  As game time approached, more and more tour groups joined us.  If Boca won the match they would win the league cup, sadly they lost 3-0.  They did not play well at all as Arsenal's goals were made due to the silly mistakes of Boca players.  Although they lost and the weather was chilly and drizzly, the atmosphere was incredible.  Everybody in the stadium was constantly chanting, shouting, or jumping.  I would highly recommend attending a match for anybody visiting Buenos Aires! 





 
On Monday a group of us had a despedida for Madison, a friend in API, at her apartment with dinner and champagne.  She left yesterday to spend the next three weeks traveling around Bolivia and Peru before going back to the States.  This  was just the start of the good byes I will face this week. 


Last night was my despedida which my family arranged with some friends.  We had an asado (variety of grilled meats) and everything was delicious!  Kansas may be meat country in the States, but there is no competition when Argentina is in the game.  The meat here is fabulous!  It still amazes me how lucky I am to be with this family, I could not have asked for a better host-family.  They, along with their friends and family members, are incredibly generous.  Afterwards, I met up with the girls at the wine bar where we met a group of French professional rugby players who were, by the looks of their table, trying to consume every bottle of hard liquor the bar had available.  We met up with a couple of Lauren's friends and spent the rest of the evening in Palermo.


Today is a national holiday, so everybody is off work and school.  For me, it has been spent packing and buying last minute gifts..the day I have been dreading for the entire time I have been here.  It has been a tough week as I am starting to face the realization that my life and the people that have been in it for the last four months will soon change.

My final post of my last few days here will be written poolside from the States.  So Argentina, this is not a chao, but an hasta luego because I will return soon.

¡Hasta luego!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment