01 May 2012

Mis Aventuras: 7


 ¡Hola todos!

Well I had a slight change of plans from my previous post.  I had several problems with my plane ticket to Chile, so I ended up not going.  Instead, my dad came down for the long weekend!  It was great to see him!! 

I went to the airport and picked him up on Friday morning and we spent the rest of the afternoon around the city seeing the main sites.  He also met my host family as we returned to the apartment to collect my things - I was not turning down three nights in a Hilton with free food, drink, and a gym.  That evening (well, every evening) we enjoyed cocktails for two hours before going out for dinner.

On Saturday we were hoping to go to Tigre, however the weather forced us to change our plans.  Instead, I showed him around the neighbourhood of Belgrano where we stopped at my university, China Town, and a couple of shopping malls.  That evening we went to Cafe Tortoni, a historical, well-known cafe which used to be home to tango performances.  Now, it is a restaurant with a tango show twice per week.  The tango show, which is performed by my tango professor from university and his partner, was very fantastic!


On Sunday we went to a local market.  The markets here are great and consist of an array of Argentine items with a great price tag, especially on leather goods.  That afternoon we met my host mother and sister - only the middle one could come as the other two were away for the long weekend - at Victoria Cream, my favourite local cafe.  My sister and I played translators (I obviously played translator all weekend) as dad and María don't know English/Spanish, but the everybody understood what was being said.  That evening I took dad to my usual wine bar.

Monday was our R&R day as it is mid-term week for me.  That afternoon I took him to the airport where we watched the Man United and Man City match before we went our separate ways.  It was a great weekend spent with him!!  I look forward to him coming back down in the coming months!

Today has been spent studying for my history of economics exam with a girl from my class.  My exam is on Thursday, so fingers crossed I pass it!!

Overall, it was a great 5 day weekend - I could definitely get used to having them more often!   ¡Hasta luego!  

1 comment: